The Pro Football Writers of America recently voted for the Rookie Awards, and a single Raven made the cut. No, it wasn’t Marlon Humphrey, the star-in-the-making; instead, it was fifth-round guard Jermaine Eluemunor.
The Ravens guard played in eight games this season, starting in two.
After observing the numbers, it’s obvious Eluemunor received votes due to the scarcity of rookie guards, rather than his performance.
Eluemunor played 198 pass blocking snaps in eight games. He allowed three sacks, one hit, and four hurries in said snaps, according to Pro Football Focus. He did not hit the minimum snap requirement, but if he had, he’d have ranked 72nd among qualifying guards.
Eluemunor graded fairly poor, also:
Overall grade: 39.3
Pass Block grade: 46.2
Run block grade: 38.4
As mentioned, Eluemunor received more votes due to a lack of rookie guards, rather than his actual performance.
Eluemunor is a rookie—a fifth-round selection, and therefore this single season shouldn’t measure his career potential. He was drafted as a raw player with upside, and while he didn’t flash in his first season, it wasn’t expected that he would. Fans shouldn’t praise his award, but they also shouldn’t write him off. He has a ways to go, but under Ravens offensive line coach Joe D’Alessandris and five-time All-Pro recipient Marshal Yanda’s tutelage, let’s hope he grows into a formidable guard.
2017 PFWA ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
- QB – Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans
- RB – Kareem Hunt, Kansas City Chiefs; Alvin Kamara, New Orleans Saints
- WR – Cooper Kupp, Los Angeles Rams; Juju Smith-Schuster, Pittsburgh Steelers
- TE – Evan Engram, New York Giants
- C – Pat Elflein, Minnesota Vikings
- G – Dan Feeney, Los Angeles Chargers; Jermaine Eluemunor, Baltimore Ravens, and Ethan Pocic, Seattle Seahawks (tie)
- T – Garett Bolles, Denver Broncos; Ryan Ramczyk, New Orleans Saints
- DL – Derek Barnett, Philadelphia Eagles; Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns; Carl Lawson, Cincinnati Bengals; Dalvin Tomlinson, New York Giants
- LB – Jarrad Davis, Detroit Lions; Reuben Foster, San Francisco 49ers; T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers
- CB – Marshon Lattimore, New Orleans Saints; Tre’Davious White, Buffalo Bills
- S – Jamal Adams, New York Jets; Marcus Williams, New Orleans Saints
- PK – Harrison Butker, Kansas City Chiefs
- P – Rigoberto Sanchez, Indianapolis Colts
- KR – Ryan Switzer, Dallas Cowboys
- PR – Jamal Agnew, Detroit Lions
- ST – Budda Baker, Arizona Cardinals
2017 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: RB Kareem Hunt, Kansas City Chiefs
2017 CO-OFFENSIVE ROOKIES OF THE YEAR: RB Kareem Hunt, Kansas City Chiefs and RB Alvin Kamara, New Orleans Saints
2017 DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: CB Marshon Lattimore, New Orleans Saints