When the Hall of Fame Selection Committee meets this Saturday in San Francisco to pick out the 2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame class, they will certainly have their work cut out for them.
The committee has to pick between 21 players, coaches, and owners. This elite shortlist has been whittled down from 108 nominees named earlier last year. Prominently featured are the three first-year nominees; Alan Faneca, Brett Favre, and Terrell Owens.
To be named to the Hall, a candidate must receive a minimum of a 80 percent "positive" vote from the 46-man selection committee. The rules stipulate that between four and eight candidates can be enshrined, and that no more than five "modern-era" finalists can be inducted at a time. Players are elected based on stats, legacy, off-the-field behavior, and of course, their standing with committee members.
Here are the candidates for the 2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class.
- Morten Andersen, Kicker -- 1982-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-2000, 2006-07 Atlanta Falcons, 2001 New York Giants, 2002-03 Kansas City Chiefs, 2004 Minnesota Vikings
- Steve Atwater, Safety -- 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets
- Don Coryell, Coach -- 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers
- Terrell Davis, Running Back -- 1995-2001 Denver Broncos
- Tony Dungy, Coach -- 1996-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2002-08 Indianapolis Colts
- Alan Faneca, Guard -- 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals
- Brett Favre, Quarterback -- 1991 Atlanta Falcons, 1992-2007 Green Bay Packers, 2008 New York Jets, 2009-2010 Minnesota Vikings
- Kevin Greene, Linebacker/Defensive End -- 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers
- Marvin Harrison, Wide Receiver --1996-2008 Indianapolis Colts
- Joe Jacoby, Tackle -- 1981-1993 Washington Redskins
- Edgerrin James, Running Back --1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks
- John Lynch, Free Safety -- 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos
- Terrell Owens, Wide Receiver -- 1996-2003 San Francisco 49ers, 2004-05 Philadelphia Eagles, 2006-08 Dallas Cowboys, 2009 Buffalo Bills, 2010 Cincinnati Bengals
- Orlando Pace, Tackle -- 1997-2008 St. Louis Rams, 2009 Chicago Bears
- Kurt Warner, Quarterback -- 1998-2003 St. Louis Rams, 2004 New York Giants, 2005-09 Arizona Cardinals
Senior Finalists (greater than 25 years retired from the league)
- Ken Stabler, Quarterback -- 1970-1979 Oakland Raiders, 1980-1981 Houston Oilers, 1982-1984 New Orleans Saints
- Dick Stanfel, Guard -- 1952-55 Detroit Lions, 1956-58 Washington Redskins
Contributor Finalist (non-player/coach)
- Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Owner -- 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers
After the lengthy discussion draws to an end and the class is finalized, the results will be announced to the world on the eve of the Super Bowl. The committee will reveal their results on "NFL Honors", the league's end-of-season award show televised on CBS. The Class of 2016 will also be introduced for the first time that night. The enshrinement ceremony will occur on August 6th.