With the first preseason game against Tampa Bay looming, the Ravens released a depth chart to the media.
The depth chart, as it is each week even in the regular season, is put together by the Ravens' public relations staff and isn't necessarily representative of what the team plans to do with each position.
Even so, this does provide an early look for what could potentially be seen when Baltimore kicks off the preseason next Thursday.
The unofficial depth chart:
In the traditional pro set on offense, the Ravens first team is as follows: QB Joe Flacco, WR Torrey Smith, WR Jacoby Jones, RB Ray Rice, FB Vonta Leach, TE Ed Dickson, LT Bryant McKinnie, LG Kelechi Osemele, C Gino Gradkowski, RG Marshal Yanda and RT Michael Oher. Yanda has a shoulder injury and probably won't play Thursday. Jah Reid is his listed backup.
In the base defense, the Ravens first team is as follows: DT Arthur Jones, NT Haloti Ngata, DE Chris Canty, Rush LB Terrell Suggs, Will LB Jameel McClain, Mike LB Daryl Smith, Sam LB Courtney Upshaw or Elvis Dumervil, CB Lardarius Webb, CB Corey Graham, SS James Ihedigbo and FS Michael Huff. With McClain (spinal cord contusion) waiting to be cleared, Josh Bynes is his listed backup.
The offense looks the part of what the media has seen in practice each day, though multiple receivers have seen time playing the No. 2 spot. Jones fits fine in that spot on the depth chart for the time being.
On defense, there is one noticeable quirk with the first team: Dumervil would appear to be a clear starter ahead of Upshaw. Upshaw will see plenty of snaps, certainly, but it would be a stretch to assume he'll open games with Dumervil on the bench.
Ngata's listed at nose tackle, which is where he's played most of his snaps at during training camp so far. However, defensive coordinator Dean Pees is expected to move his linemen around to try and confuse offensive lines.
Here are some notes about the rest of the depth chart:
- Deonte Thompson and Tandon Doss are the first receivers listed behind Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones, respectfully. David Reed, Aaron Mellette, LaQuan Williams and Marlon Brown are all grouped together with a third unit. Tommy Streeter is behind all of them on a fourth team.
- Ricky Wagner is listed as McKinnie's backup at left tackle. However, if something were to happen to McKinnie, Osemele would likely slide over into left tackle with Reid jumping in at left guard.
- Billy Bajema is listed as the No. 2 tight end. Visanthe Shiancoe and Matt Furstenburg are grouped together in the No. 3 slot.
- Brandon Williams is listed as Jones' backup at defensive tackle. Terrence Cody is penciled in as the backup nose tackle. Marcus Spears is Canty's backup at defensive end.
- Pernell McPhee is Suggs' backup at rush linebacker.
- Albert McClellan is listed as Smith's backup at Mike linebacker.
- With Dumervil and Upshaw listed as co-starters, essentially, rookie John Simon is their backup.
- Matt Elam is listed as Ihedigbo's backup and Omar Brown is listed as Huff's backup. Christian Thompson is the third-string strong safety.
- Jimmy Smith and Chykie Brown are the backup cornerbacks to Webb and Graham.
Follow me on twitter: @JasonHButt