Tier 1:Must Fill
1) Safety- we need a FS in the short term and the long term, right now we have a bunch of unproven players and a potential depth or stop gap player in Darrien Stewart.
Tier 2: Important due to unproven players or lack of depth
2) RT- we have someone who might be able to start in Rick Wagner, or moving Osemele to RT, but its by no means a sure thing
3) CB- the 3rd CB plays something like 60% of the snaps, and neither Asa Jackson or Chykie Brown is proven. If Lardarius Webb or Jimmy Smith were to get injured, we would be expecting Asa/Chykie to be our #2 cb, a situation which would make our chances of making it back to the playoffs much slimmer.
4) RB- While this is depth, with Ray Rice's regression and potential suspension we need to address this with a higher quality player. That said, RB is devalued, and there will likely not be so much of a difference between a 3rd round RB and a 5th round RB. So we should wait to address it.
Tier 3- Not immediate needs, but will be soon
5) TE- We have Dennis Pitta under long-term contract, and Owen Daniels for a year. That said, we will need a 2nd tight end in the long term, and someone who can block. Better to give that guy a year to adjust to the NFL with no pressure. Hoping we address this in the 3rd/4th.
6) WR- Not really a short term need, but could be a big need in 1-2 years. Steve Smith likely will only play 2 years, and Marlon Brown could be a regression concern. This is a good year to address it due to the depth of the class. We will probably address it in the 2nd-3rd rounds, unless we trade down in the 1st.
7) DE- Arthur Jones was a great player for us, but some of his value has to do with teams not being able to double team him because of Haloti Ngata. We have a bunch of solid players to replace him by committee with Kapron Lewis-Moore, DeAngelo Tyson, and Brandon Williams, Cody and Pernell McPhee all potentially able to replace him, although none are proven starters.
8) ILB- We have 3 options as starters, and a 4th who has played there for us at a decent level in Albert McClellan. I think we wait another year or 2 before we use a pick on another player at this position who we are expecting to become a starter.