As you all know from my last post, I am a big fan of Boldin. I thought I would make a new post summarizing everything we know from our various news outlets on the already over evaluated Anquan Boldin subject:
- Willis McGahee will not be included in the trade. His $11.5 million trade kicker make that impossible right now.
- Ozzie is unwilling to meet the Cardinals price of a 1st and a 3rd round pick.
- It does not seem like anyone else is offering a 1st and a 3rd round pick either, or the deal would be done.
- According to various news outlets, the Ravens have offered their 26th pick and Todd Heap for Boldin. Arizona has not yet accepted this offer, but assuming they are interested, they have nothing to lose by shopping around for a better offer. They have 2 days to do it, as the draft is this Saturday (finally).
- Anquan Boldin is not a trouble maker. He is actually a prototypical Ravens player. Hard worker, plays through the pain, solid citizen. He had on issue in the playoffs with his coach, and I believe he was playing with an injury (see here).
So here is my suggestion: Why don't we throw a future conditional pick in the deal to get it done now. In addition to #26 and Heap, offer them a 2010 5th round pick that will become a 4th round pick if Boldin reaches certain incentives this year.
This would solve most of the issue's brought up by the other bloggers on this site:
1) Most of the money we would pay Boldin would come from Heap's overpaid salary (6 million). Add on to that the 2.5 million you would pay the 26th pick, and you have enough per year to pay Anquan.
2) Some people think a 1st and a 3rd is too much to give up for Boldin, being that 1st day picks are very valuable. So just a 1st rounder for Boldin, i think any fan would agree is a great trade. Heap has to be thrown in so our salary cap isn't a mess, so we would have to make due with L.J. Smith, Syp, and whomever we draft at the position ( I would guess our 3rd rounder).
3) The 2nd draft pick would be for next year, and it would be a 2nd day pick with conditions to bump it up from a 5th to a 4th.
The only thing it doesn't solve is possibly pissing off Suggs. If we did this trade, I think we should tell Boldin to wait until we work out Suggs extension and then we will pay him. Sugg's deal has to get done, assuming he isn't being unreasonable on his demands. That is 100% on Ozzie to get it done. He has a reputation of taking care of his players, and we let Scott and AD walk to sign him, so we must get it done. I have a feeling that we are not hearing anything about Suggs because Ozzie asked him to wait until after the draft and then we will take care of him.
In conclusion, this trade would enable us to maximize our draft. We could hypothetically go: DE in 2nd, TE in the 3rd, OL in the 4th, WR in the 5th (Johnny Knox pretty please), and then whoever is there in the 6th (C, LB, CB, FB et). For me as a Ravens fan, this would be the perfect situation!